Residence Permit for the Pursuit of Gainful Activity
The purpose of the self-employed gainful activity may be verified by:
- A private entrepreneurial license, or
- Business Plan, or
- Small-scale agricultural producer license, or
- Professional service contract, or
- Any other reliable mean.
In the case of engaging a gainful activity being owner or director or executive officer of a company in Hungary, the purpose of entry and residency will be verified if:
- The company employs at least three Hungarian citizens or persons with the right of free movement and residence in full time employment for at least six consecutive months, legitimately, without any interruption, or
- the residence of the applicant in the territory of Hungary is essential for the company, and the business plan enclosed with the application contains sufficient information to ascertain that the business will prosper to ensure the applicant’s subsistence. The contents of the business plan must be verified by credible means, such as, in particular, by supplying a works contract, a personal services contract, an agreement, or a supply or sales contract.
The Residence permit has a validity of 3 years, renewable for 3 more years, provided that resident still conducts an economic activity. Family members can be included (Spouse, child, parent).
Once obtained a Residence permit, you may apply for a EU Blue card, which will entitle to travel visa-free across the European Union.
After 5 years of continuously residence in Hungary, you may apply for an EC Permanent Residence card, with a validity of 5 years, renewable. After 8 years of residence (temporary or permanent), you may be eligible to apply for Hungarian citizenship. You will be required to pass an examination in basic constitutional studies in Hungarian language.
Required period to citizenship may be shortened if you were born in Hungary (5 years), married to Hungarian citizen or parent of Hungarian citizen (3 years), you have Hungarian ancestors (immediate after getting your residency card) or by decision of the President of Hungary.
EEA nationals may apply directly for an Interim Permanent Residency Card (provided that the above requirements are met), which has a 5-year validity, renewable. After 5 years, they may apply for a Permanent Residence Card, which is valid indefinitely.
Documents in proof of means of subsistence in Hungary:
- a statement from a Hungarian or foreign financial institution concerning the applicant’s bank account, or
- an income certificate issued by the tax authority for the previous year, or
- an income certificate issued by the employer, or
- a certificate issued by the employer and/or tax authority as proof of regular income received from abroad, or
- other reliable means.
Documents on Hungarian accommodation:
- a residential lease contract in proof of the rental of a residence, or
- a document on accommodation by courtesy, or
- documentary evidence to verify the reservation of accommodation and payment;
- a statement on boarding (dormitory) services, or
- a document in proof of ownership of a home, in the form of abstract of title issued within 30 days to date, or
- a real estate sales contract and a copy of the decision of the competent Budapest or county government agency granting permission for the acquisition of a real estate property, or
- other documents.
Documents on comprehensive health insurance
Documents evidencing the conditions of exit, you should provide a statement undertaking the commitment of voluntary departure of the EU if your application is refused:
- a valid passport or the permits necessary to return to your country of origin, or any other non-EU country, and
- a valid ticket for departure, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket, or a means of transport.
No nationality is officially restricted
Dual citizenship is recognized in Hungary. You are not required to renounce your previous nationality to become a citizen of Hungary.
- Bank Statement
- Evidence of Residential Address
- Evidence of Health Insurance
- Proof of net wealth
- Business Plan
- Proof of ownership or rental housing
- Medical Certificate
- Original and photocopy of passport
- Original or Certified copy of Birth Certificate (if applicable)
- Original or Certified copy of Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
- One passport-size photo
permanent residency benefits
temporary residency benefits
FeesPlease sign in to view
|processing fees main applicant||€60|
|total fees main applicant||€60|
|processing fees spouse||€60|
|total fees spouse||€60|
|processing fees dependents -18||€60|
|total fees dependent -18||€60|
|processing fees dependents 18-25||€60|
|total fees dependent 18-25||€60|
|processing fees dependents +65||€60 (parents, no matter age)|
|total fees dependent +65||€60|
Visa Free Travel
Tax residents in Hungary are Hungarian nationals, EEA nationals with a registration card issued in Hungary and spending at least 183 days per year in the country, foreigner permanently settled in Hungary, or not permanently settled but his or her centre of vital interests in the country or spends at least 183 days per year in the country.
Tax residents are subject to income tax on their worldwide income, while non-residents are only taxed on their income arising from Hungarian sources.
Income tax rate is currently 15%. Capital gains, dividends, interests and rental income are generally taxed at standard rate.
Hungary has controlled foreign company rules, but these usually do not apply to individuals.
Municipalities levy property tax on buildings and plots. There is an inheritance tax of 18%, but inheritances to direct descendants and spouse are fully-exempted. Certain transactions involving the sale of immovable and movable properties are subject to transfer tax. There is no net wealth tax.
V.A.T. standard rate is 27%, with reduced rates of 18% and 7%.
Regarding corporate taxation, Hungary has the lowest corporate tax rate of the European Union, 9%. Resident entities are subject to tax on their worldwide income. Dividends are usually exempted from tax, except when CFC rules apply. Capital gains are taxed at a 9% rate. To learn more on Hungary corporate taxation, legal framework and tax treaties, check out incorporations.io/hungary.
This should not be construed as tax advice. Flag Theory | Passports.IO has access to a global network of qualified attorneys and accountants who can give you the proper advice for your particular circumstances. Contact us for further information.
ProceduresPlease sign in to view
Flag Theory | Passports.IO and our qualified attorney in Hungary, will handle all paperwork, and guide you through each step of the process to ensure that it is as fast, efficient and pain free as possible.
First, our lawyers will conduct a due diligence check on you to ensure that you are eligible and meet the criteria to apply for the program.
You will have to apply for the residence permit in your closest embassy or consulate. We will send you the application forms and provide assistance to complete the questionnaires, translate and authenticate supporting documents.
Once application approved, you will get a Category D Visa and you will have to travel to Hungary. This visa has a validity of 30 days and entitles you to apply for the residence permit in the country. During this period, you should apply for it in an Immigration and Asylum Office. Our attorneys in Hungary will provide you forms and guide you through all the process.
If you wish to set up a company in Hungary, we will incorporate it, and introduce you to several banks in order to open a bank account. We work primarily with banks that allow for remotely opened accounts to ensure that you are ready to do business as soon as possible.
If required, we can also provide assistance on finding accommodation in Hungary.
After submitting the application, the competent authority will adopt a decision in maximum 21 days. Once your application is approved, you can collect your residence permit personally or receive it by mail. The whole process may take within 1-2 months.
For further information on Hungarian residence for the pursuit of gainful activity and detailed procedures, contact us for a free private consultation.