Investor/Entrepreneur/Trader Visa (Inversionista/Empresario/Comerciante)
There are no officially specific investment or business requirements. Usually this visa is obtained by investing in Chilean stocks or setting up a company with substantial economic activity in the country. Dependents such as spouse, children and parents may be included.
The temporary residence visa will allow you to live one year within the country and apply for a work permit.
After one year you may apply for a permanent residency permit, provided that you still keep the investment or business, you have spent at least 185 days within the country in a year and you have paid taxes. When applying for a permanent visa you must attach to your application a letter stating why you want to become a Chilean permanent resident and your ties with the country.
The permanent residence permit has a validity of 5 years, renewable. After 5 years of residency (including temporary visa), you may be eligible for citizenship. The process of obtaining citizenship takes about 2 years. You will be required to attend an interview, have a good level of Spanish skills and knowledge of Chilean culture, traditions, values and history.
If you intend to invest or set up a business:
- Business plan or Investment plan.
- If the capital has been transferred to Chile, prove through bank or customs documentation or any document which demonstrates that you have capital in Chile which will allow you to make the declared investment and that you possess means to support yourself and your dependents in the country.
- If the capital has not been transferred to Chile, prove, by means of any suitable document in your name, that you have capital abroad that will allow you to make the declared investment and that you possess means to support yourself and your dependents in the country.
If you have already invested or started a business:
- Demonstrate transfer of capital to the country, corresponding to the money contributed to the company by the person applying for residence.
- If the capital has been transferred to Chile, prove through bank or customs documentation, or any document that demonstrates you have capital in Chile, which will allow you to make the declared investment and that you possess means to support yourself and your dependents in the country.
- If the capital has not been transferred to Chile, prove by means of any suitable document in your name that you have capital abroad that will allow you to make the declared investment and that you possess means to support yourself and your dependents in the country.
- Deed of the constitution of the society and later modifications.
- Initiation of activities of the Internal Revenue Service (S.I.I.) and declaration of the modifications of the company in this organization.
- Proof of payment of municipal taxes.
- Contract of lease, sale or deeds of property, which support the development of the project.
- Invoices of purchases and / or sales.
- Last Balance Sheet or Pre-Balance by the Counter.
- Last Statement of Income Tax (if applicable).
- Payment of VAT for the last three months.
- Payroll of contracted workers, with their respective historical certificates of social security payments.
- To accredit the authorization of the competent authorities to carry out the economic activity in the determined zone.
No nationality is officially restricted
Dual citizenship is recognized in Chile. You are not required to renounce your previous nationality to become a citizen of Chile.
- Certified copy of passport
- One passport-size photo
- Proof of income
- Documents certifying Business Investment
- Proof of net wealth
- Certified copy of Business License or Incorporation documents (if applicable)
- Real estate sales and purchase agreement
- Financial Statement
- Proof of V.A.T. payment (if applicable)
- Employee payroll (if applicable)
- Original or Certified copy of Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
- Original or Certified copy of Birth Certificate (if applicable)
- Affidavit of support for Dependents
- Tourism card
- dual citizenship Yes
- Family members included Yes
- land ownership Yes
- Physical residence required Yes
- Personal visit required No
- Language skills required No
- Interview required No
- Investment Single -
- Investment Family 4 -
- Minimum annual income -
- Time to citizenship 60
- Time to permanent residency 12
- Visa-free countries 171
- Financing available No
permanent residency benefits
temporary residency benefits
Visa Free Travel
To be a tax resident in Chile you must spend 6 consecutive months in the country in a year, or 6 non-consecutive months per year during 2 years.
Tax residents are subject to personal income tax on their worldwide income, and non-residents are taxed on their Chilean-source income.
However, non-Chilean nationals are taxed only in their Chilean-source income during their first three years of residency, and a three-year extension of foreign-source income exemption may be requested.
In Chile income is taxed separately depending on its nature. Employment income tax is paid monthly at progressive tax rates of up to 40% on income exceeding CLP 6,934,350.01 per month. Investment income, capital gains and business profits are subject to the Global Complementary Tax, which is also progressive up to 35%.
Controlled foreign companies (CFC) rules in Chile require resident taxpayers to include in their taxable income certain types of passive income earned by foreign companies, which hold 50% or more of capital, profits or voting rights, whether income is distributed or not.
Real property tax is levied on rural and non-rural properties at 1% and 1.2%, respectively. There is an inheritance tax. There are no taxes levied on net worth and on the transfer of assets.
The V.A.T. standard rate is 19%. Certain goods and services may be exempted or taxed at lower rates.
Regarding corporate taxation, resident entities are subject to tax on their worldwide income at a 25.5% rate (27% in 2018). To learn more about Chilean corporate taxation, legal framework and tax treaties, check out incorporations.io/chile.
This should not be construed as tax advice. We have access to a global network of qualified attorneys and accountants who can give you the proper advice for your particular circumstances. Contact us for further information.
- Property tax Yes
- Transfer tax No
- Inheritance tax Yes
- Net worth tax No
- CFC law Yes
- Tax residency days 183
- Personal income tax rate 35%
- Capital Gains tax rate 35%
- Investment income tax rate 35%
- Territorial taxation Yes