⚠️ We are still working on getting all the data and offers available here. The current information is not yet complete, and might be not up to date.
passports.io website
residencies.io website
Bank Accounts website
Flag Theory website


Retirement/Income based visa (Jubilado/Rentista)

Foreign-nationals who have a regular source of passive income or pension may obtain a temporary residence visa.

There are no official, specific income level requirements. Usually a monthly regular income or pension of US$1,000-1,500 would be enough for a single applicant. Additional amounts may be required for dependents (spouse, children and parents).

The temporary residence visa will allow you to live one year within the country and apply for a work permit.

After one year you may apply for a permanent residency permit, provided that you still meet the income requirement, you have spent at least 185 days within the country in a year and you have paid taxes. When applying for a permanent visa you must attach to your application a letter stating why you want to become a Chilean permanent resident and your ties with the country.

Permanent residence permit has a validity of 5 years, renewable. After 5 years of residency (including temporary visa), you may be eligible for citizenship. The process to obtain citizenship takes about 2 years. You will be required to attend an interview, have a good level of Spanish skills and knowledge of Chilean culture, traditions, values and history.


For pensioners:
- 1 photocopy of the last 3 monthly payments of retirement income or pension, duly legalized, or
- 1 photocopy Certificate from the Consul of the country of origin certifying the pension or retirement income in national currency (Chilean Peso, CLP) or equivalent in US dollars, legalized before a notary.

For persons of independent means:
- Proof of regular passive income, through the presentation of lease contracts held in Chile or abroad, or other similar documents that indicate the periodical obtaining of economic resources. Whatever the document, you must present a photocopy notarized before a notary.

Restricted Nationalities

No nationality is officially restricted

dual citizenship

Dual citizenship is recognized in Chile. You are not required to renounce your previous nationality to become a citizen of Chile.

Documents Required

  • Certified copy of passport
  • Tourism card
  • One passport-size photo
  • Proof of pension
  • Proof of income
  • Original or Certified copy of Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
  • Original or Certified copy of Birth Certificate (if applicable)
  • Affidavit of support for Dependents
  • dual citizenship Yes
  • Family members included Yes
  • land ownership Yes
  • Physical residence required Yes
  • Personal visit required No
  • Language skills required No
  • Interview required No
  • Investment Single -
  • Investment Family 4 -
  • Minimum annual income $18,000
  • Time to citizenship 60
  • Time to permanent residency 12
  • Visa-free countries 177
  • Financing available No

Country details

South America
Spanish (Chile)
The Republic of Chile is a state in South America occupying a long, narrow strip between the coast of the Pacific Ocean and the Andes. It borders Peru to the north, Bolivia to the northeast, Argentina to the east, the Pacific Ocean to the west and the Drake Passage to the south. It has a population of more than 17 million inhabitants and its capital and most populated city is Santiago. Its official language is Spanish and its official currency is the Chilean Peso (CLP).

Visa Free Travel

With your new passport from Chile you'll be able to access 177 countries visa free


To be a tax resident in Chile you must spend 6 consecutive months in the country in a year, or 6 non-consecutive months per year during 2 years.

Tax residents are subject to personal income tax on their worldwide income, and non-residents are taxed on their Chilean-source income.

However, non-Chilean nationals are taxed only in their Chilean-source income during their first three years of residency, and a three-year extension of foreign-source income exemption may be requested.

In Chile income is taxed separately depending on its nature. Employment income tax is paid monthly at progressive tax rates of up to 40% on income exceeding CLP 6,934,350.01 per month. Investment income, capital gains and business profits are subject to the Global Complementary Tax, which is also progressive up to 35%.

Controlled foreign companies (CFC) rules in Chile require resident taxpayers to include in their taxable income certain types of passive income earned by foreign companies, which hold 50% or more of capital, profits or voting rights, whether income is distributed or not.

Real property tax is levied on rural and non-rural properties at 1% and 1.2%, respectively. There is an inheritance tax. There are no taxes levied on net worth and on the transfer of assets.

The V.A.T. standard rate is 19%. Certain goods and services may be exempted or taxed at lower rates.

Regarding corporate taxation, resident entities are subject to tax on their worldwide income at a 25.5% rate (27% in 2018). To learn more about Chilean corporate taxation, legal framework and tax treaties, check out incorporations.io/chile.

This should not be construed as tax advice. We have access to a global network of qualified attorneys and accountants who can give you the proper advice for your particular circumstances. Contact us for further information.

  • Property tax Yes
  • Transfer tax No
  • Inheritance tax Yes
  • Net worth tax No
  • CFC law Yes
  • Tax residency days 183
  • Personal income tax rate 40%
  • Capital Gains tax rate 35%
  • Investment income tax rate 35%
  • Territorial taxation Yes

Consultation with

Flag Theory is an internationalization and offshore solutions provider, and the creator of residencies.io

In order to better serve you, we ask that you please fill out the following form as accurately as you can and provide as many details as possible. Thank you.
Residency by Employment (Work Permits)
Residency by Entrepreneurship (Starting or Relocating your Business)
Residency by Investment in Real Estate or Securities
Residency by having sufficient means (Passive Income)

Your privacy is important for us and we will keep your information secure. View our privacy policy


Flag Theory is an internationalization and offshore solutions provider, and the creator of residencies.io. We offer expert consultation advice and assistance.

Your privacy is important for us and we will keep your information secure. View our privacy policy

View past newsletters