⚠️ We are still working on getting all the data and offers available here. The current information is not yet complete, and might be not up to date.
passports.io website
residencies.io website
Bank Accounts website
Flag Theory website

Hong Kong

Investment as Entrepreneurs

Under this scheme foreign nationals who establish a business in Hong Kong SAR and are in a position to make a substantial contribution to the economy of the region, may get a temporary visa to reside in Hong Kong.

This temporary visa allows a stay of 24 months, renewable, provided that the business it is still operating. After the first renewal, the permit must be renewed every 3 years. After 7 years of continuous residency, you may be eligible for permanent residency, provided that you have paid taxes in each year. Direct dependents may be included.

Factors to determine eligibility:
- Business Plan: two-year business plan stating the nature of the business, market analysis, market positioning, business direction, sales targets, product marketing strategy, etc. Two-year forecast of the profit-and-loss account statement, cash flow statement and balance sheet to demonstrate the feasibility of the business in terms of operation, finances and development.
- Business Turnover: in the case of running a relevant business overseas or having joined in a business in Hong Kong, profit-and-loss account statement and balance sheet submission, showing the business turnover and profit in the previous year.
- Financial Resources: statements of personal and company bank accounts in the previous year and proof of other sources of funding, as well as the company’s latest audited financial report (if any) to demonstrate having the sufficient financial resources to run the relevant business in Hong Kong and also support the smooth operation and sustainable growth of the business.
- Investment Sum: proof of the amount of capital investment in Hong Kong.
- Number of jobs created locally.
- Introduction of new technology or skills (if applicable).

Startup Business Scheme:
If you wish to join in a start-up business, the Immigration Department may consider the application favorably, if the start-up business concerned is supported by a government-backed programme with a rigorous vetting and selection process, and you are the proprietor or partner of the start-up company or a key researcher of the relevant project. Examples of government-backed programmes include:
- StartmeupHK Venture Programme administered by InvestHK.
- Incu-App, Incu-Bio and Incu-Tech programmes administered by the Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation.
- Cyberport Incubation Programme.
- Small Entrepreneur Research Assistance Programme and Enterprise Support Scheme administered by the Innovation and Technology Commission.
- Design Incubation Programme administered by the Hong Kong Design Centre.

To apply for entry for investment, you must nominate a local sponsor, who can either sponsor you as a company or an individual. If the sponsor is an individual, he/she should be 18 or above, and be a bona fide Hong Kong resident acquainted with you.


- Business Plan
- Hong Kong Sponsor
- Proof of company’s business activities (if applicable)
- Tenancy agreements/supporting documents on office set-up
- Business Registration Certificate and business registration particulars (if applicable)
- Certificate of incorporation (if applicable)
- Letter indicating valid support of government-backed programme (if applicable)

Restricted Nationalities

China, Afghanistan, Cuba, Laos, North Korea, Nepal, Vietnam

dual citizenship

Hong Kong does not have its own citizenship, but does have its own travel document (passport). Only citizens of the People's Republic of China (PRC) who are permanent residents of Hong Kong with a permanent ID card, can apply for a Hong Kong passport.

Documents Required

  • One passport-size photo
  • Original and photocopy of passport
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Professional and academic certificates
  • Original Professional Reference Letter (Not older than 6 month)
  • Employment contract (if applicable)
  • Proof of company's business activities (if applicable)
  • Proof of company's financial standing (if applicable)
  • Certified copy of Business License or Incorporation documents (if applicable)
  • Evidence of Residential Address
  • Business Plan
  • dual citizenship No
  • Family members included Yes
  • land ownership No
  • Physical residence required No
  • Personal visit required No
  • Language skills required No
  • Interview required No
  • Investment Single -
  • Investment Family 4 -
  • Minimum annual income -
  • Time to citizenship 84
  • Time to permanent residency 84
  • Visa-free countries 171
  • Financing available No

Country details

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Chinese (Hong Kong), , , English
The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (Hong Kong SAR) is a former British colony, located in Southeast China. It is composed of a peninsula and several islands located on the coast of the South China Sea, in the Pearl River Delta, 100 km southeast of the city of Guangzhou and east of the Macao Special Administrative Region. It has an area of 2,755 sq. km, and a population of more than 7 million people. Its official languages are English and Cantonese.

Although it is part of the People’s Republic of China, the region maintains an independent economic, administrative and judicial system, and even its own currency, system of customs and external borders. Its official legal tender currency is the Hong Kong Dollar (HKD), which is the ninth most traded currency worldwide.

Hong Kong is a vibrant, densely populated urban center and is a major port and global financial hub with a skyscraper-studded skyline. Its economy is mainly based on services, financial services being one of the main sectors. Despite its small size, Hong Kong ranks eleventh worldwide in volume of banking operations and the Hong Kong Stock Exchange is the second largest capital market in Asia, after the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Visa Free Travel

With your new passport from Hong Kong you'll be able to access 171 countries visa free


Individuals who ordinarily reside in Hong Kong or stay in the country for more than 180 days per year or more than 300 days in two consecutive years may be considered Hong Kong tax residents. However, tax residency rules may vary according to a tax treaty.

In Hong Kong, income tax is levied on a territorial basis. This means that both residents and non-residents are subject to income tax on their income accrued in Hong Kong, foreign-source income being exempt from taxation.

Personal income tax on salaries is levied at a progressive rate from 2% to 17% on income exceeding HKD120,000. Income from business is taxed under profits tax (16.5%). Dividend and interest income are exempt from taxation. Capital gains are usually tax-exempt, although those derived from certain trading assets may be subject to profits tax.

Rental income is taxed under property tax, at a 15% on the net assessable value of land or buildings. Property tax does not apply on residential properties occupied by the owner for self-use. Note that while it is possible to buy condominium units, land is owned by the government and its tenure is on a renewable leasehold basis.

There is a stamp duty on contracts of sale and purchase of Hong Kong registered stocks (0.2%) and the transfer of immovable property, up to 8.5%. There is a special stamp duty on the resale of properties held less than 36 months from 10% to 20%.

There are no V.A.T., inheritance or net wealth taxes in Hong Kong.
Regarding corporate taxation, Hong Kong resident entities are taxed on their local-source income at a flat rate of 16.5%.

Dividends received and capital gains are not generally subject to taxation. There are no withholding taxes on dividend and interest payments to non-residents. To learn more about Hong Kong corporate legal framework, taxation and tax treaties, check out incorporations.io/hong-kong.

This should not be construed as tax advice. We have access to a global network of qualified attorneys and accountants who can give you the proper advice for your particular circumstances. Contact us for further information.

  • Property tax Yes
  • Transfer tax No
  • Inheritance tax No
  • Net worth tax No
  • CFC law No
  • Tax residency days 180
  • Personal income tax rate 17%
  • Capital Gains tax rate 0%
  • Investment income tax rate 0%
  • Territorial taxation Yes

Consultation with

Flag Theory is an internationalization and offshore solutions provider, and the creator of residencies.io

In order to better serve you, we ask that you please fill out the following form as accurately as you can and provide as many details as possible. Thank you.
Residency by Employment (Work Permits)
Residency by Entrepreneurship (Starting or Relocating your Business)
Residency by Investment in Real Estate or Securities
Residency by having sufficient means (Passive Income)

Your privacy is important for us and we will keep your information secure. View our privacy policy


Flag Theory is an internationalization and offshore solutions provider, and the creator of residencies.io. We offer expert consultation advice and assistance.

Your privacy is important for us and we will keep your information secure. View our privacy policy

View past newsletters