⚠️ We are still working on getting all the data and offers available here. The current information is not yet complete, and might be not up to date.
passports.io website
residencies.io website
Bank Accounts website
Flag Theory website

Hong Kong

Quality Migrant Admission Scheme

Under this scheme, highly skilled foreign nationals who wish to settle in Hong Kong SAR, and will enhance Hong Kong's economic competitiveness, may get a temporary visa to reside in Hong Kong, whether they have secured a job offer or not.

This temporary visa allows for a stay of 24 months, renewable, provided you have obtained a job or run a business. After the first renewal, a permit must be renewed every 3 years. After 7 years of continuous residency, you may be eligible for permanent residency, provided that you have paid taxes in each year. Direct dependents may be included.

The Scheme is restricted at a certain yearly quota. You must perform a point based test and be proficient in written and spoken Chinese (Putonghua or Cantonese) or English, in order to be eligible.

You must score 80 points in the “General Points test” assessed in the following way:
- Age (Maximum 30p)
+ 18-39 (30)
+ 40-44 (20)
+ 45-50 (15)
+ 51 or above (0)
- Academic/Professional Qualifications (Maximum 70p) (Must be in top 100 in certain university rankings)
+ Doctoral degree / Two or more master’s degrees (40)
+ Master’s degree / Two or more bachelor’s degrees (20p)
+ Bachelor’s degree / Professional Qualification awarded by a nationally or internationally recognized or acclaimed professional body which demonstrates that the holder has a very high level of technical expertise or skill (10p).
+ Degree at bachelor level or higher is awarded by a renowned institution recognized internationally (30p).
- Work experience (Max 55p)
+ Not less than 10 years' graduate or specialist level work experience, including at least 5 years in a senior role (40p)
+ Not less than 5 years' graduate or specialist level work experience, including at least 2 years in a senior role (30p)
+ Not less than 5 years' graduate or specialist level work experience (15p)
+ Not less than 2 years' graduate or specialist level work experience (5p)
+ Additional points for not less than 2 years’ graduate or specialist level work experience with international exposure (15p)
- Language proficiency (Max 20).
+ Being proficient both in written and spoken Chinese (Putonghua or Cantonese) and English (20p)
+ Being proficient in at least one foreign language (written and spoken) in addition to written and spoken Chinese (Putonghua or Cantonese) or English (15p)
+ Being proficient in written and spoken Chinese (Putonghua or Cantonese) or English (10p)
- Family Background (Maximum 20 points)
+ At least one immediate family member (married spouse, parents, siblings, children) is a Hong Kong permanent resident residing in Hong Kong (5p)
+ Accompanying married spouse is educated to the equivalent level of a degree or above (5p)
+ 5 points for each accompanying unmarried dependent child under the age of 18, maximum 10 points

You may choose to be assessed under a separate Achievement-based Points Test, if you have received an award of exceptional achievement (e.g. Olympic medals, Nobel prize, national/international awards); or your work has been acknowledged by your peers or has contributed significantly to the development of your field (e.g. lifetime achievement award from an industry).

After meeting the minimum passing mark, the Immigration Department will proceed to a selection exercise. Successfully passing the tests does not necessarily secure quota allotment.


- Proof of personal net worth. You must demonstrate that you have sufficient financial means to support yourself and your dependents living in Hong Kong.
- No criminal record.
- Basic education qualification.
- Proof of professional achievement (if applicable).
- Transcript of academic records.
- Diplomas and academic certificates.
- Reference Letter from each of your past employers.
- Owned company documents.
- Evidence of self-employment experience.
- Language proficiency proof.
- Evidence of key career accomplishment or future plan.

Restricted Nationalities

Afghanistan, Cuba, Laos, North Korea, Nepal, Vietnam

dual citizenship

Hong Kong does not have its own citizenship, but does have its own travel document (passport). Only citizens of the People's Republic of China (PRC) who are permanent residents of Hong Kong with a permanent ID card, can apply for a Hong Kong passport.

Documents Required

  • One passport-size photo
  • Original and photocopy of passport
  • Proof of net wealth
  • University diploma
  • Professional and academic certificates
  • Evidence of language skills
  • Original Professional Reference Letter (Not older than 6 month)
  • Evidence on key career accomplishment/future plan
  • dual citizenship No
  • Family members included Yes
  • land ownership No
  • Physical residence required No
  • Personal visit required No
  • Language skills required Yes
  • Interview required Yes
  • Investment Single -
  • Investment Family 4 -
  • Minimum annual income -
  • Time to citizenship 84
  • Time to permanent residency 84
  • Visa-free countries 171
  • Financing available No

Country details

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Chinese (Hong Kong), , , English
The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (Hong Kong SAR) is a former British colony, located in Southeast China. It is composed of a peninsula and several islands located on the coast of the South China Sea, in the Pearl River Delta, 100 km southeast of the city of Guangzhou and east of the Macao Special Administrative Region. It has an area of 2,755 sq. km, and a population of more than 7 million people. Its official languages are English and Cantonese.

Although it is part of the People’s Republic of China, the region maintains an independent economic, administrative and judicial system, and even its own currency, system of customs and external borders. Its official legal tender currency is the Hong Kong Dollar (HKD), which is the ninth most traded currency worldwide.

Hong Kong is a vibrant, densely populated urban center and is a major port and global financial hub with a skyscraper-studded skyline. Its economy is mainly based on services, financial services being one of the main sectors. Despite its small size, Hong Kong ranks eleventh worldwide in volume of banking operations and the Hong Kong Stock Exchange is the second largest capital market in Asia, after the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Visa Free Travel

With your new passport from Hong Kong you'll be able to access 171 countries visa free


Individuals who ordinarily reside in Hong Kong or stay in the country for more than 180 days per year or more than 300 days in two consecutive years may be considered Hong Kong tax residents. However, tax residency rules may vary according to a tax treaty.

In Hong Kong, income tax is levied on a territorial basis. This means that both residents and non-residents are subject to income tax on their income accrued in Hong Kong, foreign-source income being exempt from taxation.

Personal income tax on salaries is levied at a progressive rate from 2% to 17% on income exceeding HKD120,000. Income from business is taxed under profits tax (16.5%). Dividend and interest income are exempt from taxation. Capital gains are usually tax-exempt, although those derived from certain trading assets may be subject to profits tax.

Rental income is taxed under property tax, at a 15% on the net assessable value of land or buildings. Property tax does not apply on residential properties occupied by the owner for self-use. Note that while it is possible to buy condominium units, land is owned by the government and its tenure is on a renewable leasehold basis.

There is a stamp duty on contracts of sale and purchase of Hong Kong registered stocks (0.2%) and the transfer of immovable property, up to 8.5%. There is a special stamp duty on the resale of properties held less than 36 months from 10% to 20%.

There are no V.A.T., inheritance or net wealth taxes in Hong Kong.
Regarding corporate taxation, Hong Kong resident entities are taxed on their local-source income at a flat rate of 16.5%.

Dividends received and capital gains are not generally subject to taxation. There are no withholding taxes on dividend and interest payments to non-residents. To learn more about Hong Kong corporate legal framework, taxation and tax treaties, check out incorporations.io/hong-kong.

This should not be construed as tax advice. We have access to a global network of qualified attorneys and accountants who can give you the proper advice for your particular circumstances. Contact us for further information.

  • Property tax Yes
  • Transfer tax No
  • Inheritance tax No
  • Net worth tax No
  • CFC law No
  • Tax residency days 180
  • Personal income tax rate 17%
  • Capital Gains tax rate 0%
  • Investment income tax rate 0%
  • Territorial taxation Yes

Consultation with

Flag Theory is an internationalization and offshore solutions provider, and the creator of residencies.io

In order to better serve you, we ask that you please fill out the following form as accurately as you can and provide as many details as possible. Thank you.
Residency by Employment (Work Permits)
Residency by Entrepreneurship (Starting or Relocating your Business)
Residency by Investment in Real Estate or Securities
Residency by having sufficient means (Passive Income)

Your privacy is important for us and we will keep your information secure. View our privacy policy


Flag Theory is an internationalization and offshore solutions provider, and the creator of residencies.io. We offer expert consultation advice and assistance.

Your privacy is important for us and we will keep your information secure. View our privacy policy

View past newsletters