Share capital investor residence permit
- Investment of at least €50,000 made in a business company with the number of employees not exceeding 50, and annual turnover or annual balance not exceeding €10 million.
Upon investing in the equity capital of one capital company, a temporary residence permit shall be issued to no more than 10 foreigners, if each of them has made the aforementioned investment.
- Investment of at least €100,000 in a business company with the number of employees exceeding 50, and with annual turnover or annual balance exceeding €10 million.
- Investment of at least €100,000 in the equity capital of a capital company, which together with one or several subsidiaries registered in the Republic of Latvia employs more than 50 employees and total annual turnover or annual balance thereof exceeds €10 million.
Dependents may be included in the application.
The residence permit will have a validity not exceeding 5 years. After that period, you may renew your residence permit if you still fulfill the requirements, or you may apply for a permanent residence permit. Language skills and significant physical residency in the country for 5 years may be required for permanent residency.
Foreigners who hold a permanent residency permit and have been living in Latvia for 5 years may apply for citizenship if they fulfill certain conditions.
- Travel document admitted in the Republic of Latvia.
- Financial means to subsist in Latvia without need of work.
- Health Insurance.
- Have a place of residence in Latvia, whether through ownership of property or rental.
- Documents a foreign national needs with respect to the anticipated place of residence:
+ Document in his/her name stating his/her right to reside in the specified real estate property (an entry in the Land Register);
+ A Lease Agreement for a specified real estate property in his/her name. If the Lessor is an individual or a corporation, additional documentation is required confirming the Lessor's ownership of the said property.
If the foreign national applying for a residence permit does not have either of the above, he/she needs to submit:
+ A copy of the Land Register pertaining to the specified real estate property; and the property owner's agreement to declare the said property as the foreign national's place of residence;
+ A Lease Agreement for the specified real estate property; and the Lessor's agreement to declare the said property as the foreign national's place of residence. If the Lessor is an individual or a corporation, additional documentation is required confirming the Lessor's ownership of said property.
No nationality is officially restricted
Dual citizenship is recognized in Latvia. You are not required to renounce your previous nationality to become a citizen of Latvia.
Dual Citizenship permitted with some exceptions
- Proof of income
- Original and photocopy of passport
- One passport-size photo
- Evidence of Health Insurance
- Evidence of Residential Address
- Receipt of payment of fees
- Documents certifying Business Investment
- dual citizenship Yes
- Family members included Yes
- land ownership Yes
- Physical residence required No
- Personal visit required Yes
- Language skills required No
- Interview required No
- Investment Single €50,000
- Investment Family 4 €50,000
- Minimum annual income -
- Time to citizenship 72
- Time to permanent residency 60
- Visa-free countries 165
- Financing available No
permanent residency benefits
temporary residency benefits
FeesPlease sign in to view
|government fees main applicant||€10,000|
It shares borders with Estonia to the north, Lithuania to the south, to the east with Russia and Belarus, and to the west with the Baltic Sea. It is a country of low plains covered by extensive forests.
Latvia gained its independence in 1991, after the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Since then, it has become a member of the United Nations (UN), European Union (EU) and NATO since 2004, and became a member of the OECD in 2016. Currently the country is a democratic parliamentary republic divided into 120 municipalities (90 municipalities and 30 cities).
The country adopted the euro as its official currency on January 1, 2014.
Visa Free Travel
To be a tax resident in Latvia, an individual must have his or her permanent place of residence in Latvia, or be present in Latvia for 183 days or more in any 12-month period.
Residents are subject to tax on their worldwide income, while non-residents pay taxes on their income derived from Latvia.
Employment income and business income are taxed at 23%, capital gains at 15% and investment income at 10%.
Income from controlled foreign companies (CFCs) is subject to personal income tax at 23%. A foreign entity is deemed to be a CFC when a Latvian tax resident holds at least 25% of equity, stock, or voting power.
Real property tax is levied at 1.5% of the cadastral value of land and buildings. Residential properties are taxed between 0.2% and 0.6%. Unused agricultural land is taxed at 3%.
A stamp duty is levied on the higher of sales price or cadastral value when real property is registered in the land register, capped at €42,686.
The standard V.A.T. rate is 21%. A reduced 12% rate applies to certain goods and services.
There are no taxes on inheritances and personal wealth in Latvia.
Regarding corporate taxation, resident entities are subject to a 15% tax on their worldwide income.
- Property tax Yes
- Transfer tax Yes
- Inheritance tax No
- Net worth tax No
- CFC law Yes
- Tax residency days 183
- Personal income tax rate 23%
- Capital Gains tax rate 15%
- Investment income tax rate 10%
- Territorial taxation No
ProceduresPlease sign in to view
Our qualified lawyer in Latvia will handle all paperwork, and guide you through each step of the process to ensure that it is as fast, efficient and pain-free as possible.
First, our lawyers will conduct a due diligence check on you to ensure that you are eligible, meet the criteria to apply for the program, and that your application will be approved.
We will send you the application forms and provide assistance to complete the questionnaires, and translate and authenticate documents.
You will need make your investment to get your application approved. If required, we may introduce you to several financial advisors in Latvia, to find the investment that best suit your needs. After that, you must apply for an Investor visa at any embassy or consulate.
Once the investment is made, fees are paid and your application is approved, you will get the visa. Following that, you must apply for a residence permit in Latvia. The whole application process takes within 1-3 months.